What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

10.28.2010

1 Peter 3:1-7

1 Peter 3:1-7
More instruction on what it means to be part of the household of God for Peter's church. Embedded in Peter's teaching are more implications for our own Christian conduct. Once again, the doing what is right, informed by God's will, whether it is difficult or not, is Peter's message.

1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 5For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, 6like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.



7Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

Thoughts...

2 comments:

  1. You know , Peter's advise is good for spouses of either sex. If I exhibit purity and reverence in my life , if I show the beauty of my inner self , and have a gentle and quiet spirit , my wife is bound to notice . Other folks too . I'm afraid there's times that I just don't do that . This seems much like the fruit of Spirit that Paul talks about .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Doc; this is a very practical way to interpret this sometimes confusing scripture.

    I've been pondering this passage for a few days now. Consider a similar passage, Eph 5:22-23. Especially while ignoring the balance of the chapter, as is often done but males seeking justification for complete dominance. Similar to something I learned this morning called "proof texting."

    Another thing I see here is that women are not forbidden to wear outward adornment. They should show their beauty by displaying their inner self and spirit. Again, I think this is often (mis?)interpreted very strictly as a non-negotiable dress code.

    Related, for our 25th anniversary, I bought new wedding rings for Patty and me. Inside mine I put Eph 5:25. Something I try to do every day, but like Doc, sometimes I fail at that.

    ReplyDelete