What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

1.06.2011

Hebrews 2:1-4

1 We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 2 For since the message spoken through angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, 3 how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. 4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. (NIV)
So, we've had some time off. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year (especially Christmas). Back to this letter/homily.

Hebrews 2:1-4 is the first of many small (though they grow in length as the letter moves along) passages of encouragement and instruction. Here, the author prods, pushes us, even demands us to pay 'careful attention' to what we have heard God speak to us in and through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. Since Jesus is supremely God's Word, far better than anything ever heard (though it continues and fulfills what God has spoken before), it must be taken seriously. Notice that our tendencies to 'drift away' are a result of not 'paying attention' to this Word. In some ways, we could say that every conceivable weakness in the church can be traced back to this...do each/every one of us pay 'careful attention' to Jesus? This is far, far more relevant than a WWJD sort of thinking, which puts the emphasis on what we think Jesus would do. This is about an active, living, consistent and humble relationship of listening to Jesus who is raised, living and ruling. How do you (or not) do this? What works? What doesn't? What's frustrating? What's fruitful? What's joyful?

Your thoughts, questions, etc.

5 comments:

  1. I love the scripture that says, "how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation?" I have had people ask me, "what's so great about being religious," which of course leads to my standard discourse about the difference between binding laws and an intimate personal relationship with GOD Almighty. The fact is, having a personal relationship with JESUS is everything. Not just some things; not just the important things; Everything. All things exist of HIM and through HIM. All means all.

    James tells us to pray without ceasing. Solomon says to trust, leaning not on our own understanding, and in ALL things acknowledge HIM, knowing with certainty that HE is directing our path. That is my faith, my rock, my hope, my strong tower. I have no idea how other folks live without knowing and living this way. It seems to me that any other way would be clouded with doubt, uncertainty and fear, which is exactly what it was for me prior to my daily walk with the LORD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Andy. Too many think, as the saying goes, 'religion is the opium of the people' (though I think that is a common misquote). In any case, relationship with Jesus is far more than a crutch, or 'opium,' but is a new and in fact, the only real way of living. Jesus is not only God's statement on all things, but is God's offer of hopeful, joyful, sturdy, selfless, born-from-above abundant life. Yeah, I'm with you Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Raised , living , and ruling " I love that !

    How do I work on my relationship with Jesus ?
    I am trying to make my prayers more real ; more my words and not the standard ones .Sue and I try to keep our bible study more regular and not find excuses to miss.

    What works ? Lately it seems praying when I'm right smack dab in the middle of some crap helps .( What a faithful God ) . I know I should use prayer as a first response and not save it till a last resort .

    Sabbathing seems to be the most fruitful thing .
    I'm a guy who absolutely has to get stuff done ; and sabbathing ( doing nothing but prayer , fellowshipping , bible study , etc. ) seems to somehow pay off in terms of productivity . Strange , no ?

    Joyful ? Working with kids and working with praise music brings more joy than I can describe . Should have done this years ago !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts, Doc. The consistency of spiritual disciplines can be tough, but I think part of the reason is that we are so conditioned to want the spectacular, the remarkable, the exciting, that we miss the life-changing value of regularly walking with Jesus listening to His voice speaking through the Bible, sensing our hearts more surrendered in quiet prayer, and living into the rhythm of Sabbath (6 days of productivity and one day of rest). All this is remarkable in itself but not in the way we usually want it. Glad you are Sue are growing in your faith as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. " Regular walking " and " quiet surrender " , I like the sounds of that .

    ReplyDelete