What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

2.07.2011

Hebrews 3:7-19

For NIV (2010) reading click here Passage

Having been told of the faithfulness of Jesus, the author of Hebrews now warns the readers and us of not being faithful. Jesus has been/is faithful over us, and that faithfulness benefits us...if we hold on to it by trusting in Him enough to live for him. This next section shows what can happen if we don't. He quotes Psalm 95:7-11.

This all concerns the danger of 'unfaith' (Greek apistia) and so they/we are told in 3:12 to 'watch out' (NIV has 'see to it') that none of us turns away. This unfaith is the reason why the generation mentioned in Psalm 95 failed to enter into the land of promise (3:19). The events may refer to some combination of Exodus 17, Numbers 14 and Numbers 20.

As we've seen some already, Hebrews seems to be written to those who feel a real temptation, due to hardship, doubt, etc., to let go of faith and faithfulness. I think we can all identify with that from time to time...

Your thoughts/questions...

4 comments:

  1. I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray,
    and they have not known my ways.’
    So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’

    I love that verse. JESUS told us (Mat 11:30) "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." HIS way is to "let go and let GOD." As simple as that sounds, it is a nerve-wracking way to live. However, with some practice we do learn to trust HIM and we do learn not to fear so much. "Be strong and of good courage and HE will strengthen your heart." Ps. 27:14

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right on, Andy...like all spiritual disciplines and growth, there is practice involved. Love Ps. 27:14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verses 12-13.

    This is HUGE! The author addresses a community of Christians (church) and says, don't any of you distrust God...instead, encourage one another. Think about what he is saying - there is a direct relationship between our individual vulnerability to distrust God, and our active daily encouragement of one another. Now, with this as a guide, think about that last few conversations that have taken place between you and other Christians...how'd you/we fair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first became involved in evangelical protestantism a few years back I was really kind of expecting to experience some degree of mutual encouragement and iron sharpening but there doesn't seem to be a lot of that going on in modern churches . Plenty of criticism and judgement , but not a lot of encouragement . I wonder why that is ? Paul tells us to do so quite a bit in his epistles and it seems like a real Christian thing to do . I know the times I have received comfort and encouragement from brothers and sisters ,it has meant the world to me . I wonder how we might foster that kind of empathetic attitude in our churches .

    ReplyDelete