What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

3.23.2010

Reading 12 (Mark 8:1-21) Tuesday March 23

For NIV reading click here
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark%208:1-21&version=NIV

Two stories about bread: the first is another feeing miracle similar to the feeding of the 50oo; the second is a warning passage to Jesus' disciples about the Pharisees and Herod.

What do you make of these? There importance for us? How do we live them out?

A couple of cautions for us as we read...be sure to let the text speak for itself...and more importantly, for God to speak through the text as it is. Most of us have a tendency to read into the text what we assume it to mean and we sometimes miss the meaning and power of the passage in front of us. So, linger in the text for a bit. And always ask how we can 'put it on' - that is, how we can embody and live something of the text in our daily wanderings.

9 comments:

  1. For application in my life - I think these two stories remind me that what I have to offer is insufficient, but with Christ I have abundance.

    I will be traveling to Albany in the next few weeks to participate in a panel discussion. I will be able to give a three minute introduction about myself and my pro-life work, and then open myself up for interrogation for the next 90 minutes. I will have a fairly hostile audience of about 200. Quite honestly, I am scared. This is way out of my comfort zone, but it's where I believe God has asked me to be.
    As I pray and prepare, I will remember that I am insufficient, but Christ is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a funny thought about the upcoming panel. Maybe I should remember that my opponents are just as full of hot air as Herod and the Pharisees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few thoughts, although I am reluctant after Matt's caution to read what it says, not what we want it to say. I have talked to people who consider the two mass-feeding miracles to be more like miracles of community. Put another way, when the folks all sat down and received the (small) percentage of that the disciples had, it turns out that there was a lot of food amongst them, and when they shared, all ate their fill to satisfaction. While I like this interpretation, I don't want to give the impression that I discount supernatural explanations for the other miracles (healing, wine, walking on water, etc). In fact, this passage never mentions anything like "Jesus multiplied the bread." It just says He gave thanks, the disciples passed it out, everyone ate, and they were satisfied. Changing people's hearts (to share where they might have been selfish) is to me no less of a miracle than a healing. What is evangelism other than seeking to change hearts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. So, Dave, you're saying that they were holding out on Jesus? Hmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. All we are called to do is give every minute of every day over to Him. And that means giving up some things for others in need. At times things we really do not want to give up: time, money, and food. I do think that in general we all fall quite short of this mark.

    Is this anything close to what you are talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would agree, but I am not sure that I think they were acting selfish. If they had it to give/share I don't think they would hold out. When I read this, I read that there was not enough to go around, until Christ enters the picture. Then there is an abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy,
    I like your comment about what we have to offer being insufficient until God multiplys it. I would remind you that God is in control of the situation in Albany. Put your trust in the fact that God will be with you when you share. I need to point out that as I type this I am typing it as much for you as for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy ,give em all your best
    answers to the tough questions and if 99% of them
    don't receive it well , maybe there is one who's heart will be softened . That's one more than before you spoke .You be faithful to what God has called you to do and let Him do the transforming .
    Go get em , girl !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Along with all your comments, I’ll add that the language of the first story has overtones of Easter, verses 2-3 especially: 3 days, without what they need, if sent away without it they will faint (lit. ‘give out’). And this feeding miracle seems to be directed at Gentiles, while the feeding of the 5000 seems directed to a more Jewish group, thus including them all.

    Love the thoughts shared: without Jesus we come up empty, just a few loaves…with Jesus, a full spread is available! “I am the bread of life.”

    This seems to come through in the second story too where Jesus may be implying that he is the one bread…in the boat with them.

    He is enough! He is more than enough…and has more than enough…good thoughts throughout my friends! Thanks.

    Lord, be present with Wendy, multiplying your truth and grace in and through her. May her 3 minutes become a means of your voice speaking into the hearts of hungry people...all of us say...amen!

    ReplyDelete