What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

3.16.2010

Reading 5 (Mark 3:13-35) Tuesday March 16

For NIV reading click here
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%203:13-35&version=NIV

People struggle to make sense of who Jesus is; they offer irrational explanations ("he's got a demon!") and make emotional outbursts (his family says "he's a bit loopy"). Jesus continues to talk about the good stuff of God's Kingdom and those who recognize how much they need it crowd around Jesus to hear. What do we do? What do we do with Jesus when he pushes up against our expectations and assumptions and agendas?

7 comments:

  1. Misc thoughts:

    even if the Scribes were right, Satan's end would be coming and that's good news, right?

    What Jesus did regarding Satan is maybe like Normandy in WW2 - established a strategic beachhead, and the 'beginning of the end' as Churchill put it, turning the tides. Jesus has bound the Strong man, though he still has influence like a gangster in a prison cell still having influence on the outside.

    The Kingdom family takes priority over biological family...[always struggled with this] but let's hear it for biological families and marriages that are also Kingdom families!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we assume Jesus nicknamed James and John the
    Sons of Thunder because of their temperament ?

    Was He being rude to his biological family ?
    I have heard that His brothers did not believe in Him until after His death and ressurection . Is that supported anywhere in the Bible ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus as gangster - nice! Seriously, sometimes we need those analogies. I too struggle with the family issue. Especially having a bunch of non-believing family. Although V21 "He is out of his mind" (spoken by his family) is very similar to V30 "He has an evil spirit" (spoken by the teachers of the law.) It would be an easier concept (family vs Kingdom) is family was so clearly aligned with the Dark Side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I meant to suggest Satan as gangster in jail with some residual authority...but maybe Jesus seems like a gangster to Satan and his 'kingdom?'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc, the thunder thing may reflect their personality or character a little bit (see 9:38), but no one really knows for sure about the nickname. And it does seem Jesus came across a little rude to his family, though we don't know the dynamics of the situation. It sure seems likely that Jesus' whole family had a hard time believing in him until after the resurrection...but that's part of Mark's point...none of us really can understand who Jesus is apart from the cross and resurrection, including the disciples. All 4 gospels hint that Jesus' family needed the cross and resurrection to come around. Luke doesn't make as much of this as Mark does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a day reflecting on some of this passage, I am ending the day thinking about this bit of good news: while we are busy misunderstanding Jesus, or accusing Jesus of not being all good in his Lordship and leadership, or thinking God is 'out of his mind' in asking or commanding certain things of us, Jesus is busy calling people to him, binding evil powers, and building a community around the Fatherhood of God in which people get to be children of God...that's "good news" and I thank you Jesus for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might as well join the crowd. I too struggle with the family issue. Very few of my biological family are believers. I am often at odds with them because I am a believer. I struggle with do I keep my mouth shut and have a peaceful family time or do I start world war three and say what I think. On another note, I feel sad when I see all the biological familys in Church and I know that I am alone. Oh well, I guess I don't mind being "loopy" as long as Jesus is too.

    ReplyDelete