What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

4.22.2010

FOR THURSDAY Reading #11 (Ruth 4:13-22)

For NIV reading click here http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ruth+4%3A13-22&version=NIV

Last section of Ruth. Great discussion everyone!

Everything get resolved in this section, both for the family and for the part this book has played for God's overall plan that extends to David, 2nd king of Israel.

How do you feel about how the story is brought to a close?
What have been the most important teachings in this book for you?
Favorite scene?
Favorite character?

For Friday I'll list some of the highlights/main points for me.

Don't forget to vote on the next book you want to read - commenting has been light recently so perhaps ya'll want a break, or you just like reading? I'm open to suggestions.

Have a great day...may the Lord bless you!

5 comments:

  1. Great book. Its a story of life. Real life. Tragic life. Its also a story of perseverance and GOD's unfailing provision. I like the fact that it's real. It doesn't involve kings or queens. It's real, every day people like me with their struggles and a praise-worthy outcome.

    As for Matt's comments, I read daily, but don't always have comments. Kinda like accepting GOD's will. Sometimes I just gotta take what HE's giving me. Sometimes it's best to keep my mouth shut.

    Votes for the next reading. How about Esther?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boaz my main man !

    Favorite passage : " Your people will be my people , your God will be my God ".

    Any book you guys want is cool with me . I kinda like alternating OT with NT . All the books listed are my favorites . If we did say , Genesis , then perhaps Romans , then maybe Matthew ,then maybe Exodus..........then a big study of David . Slip in Judges somewhere .
    Lets not forget Jonah , and James .
    I know almost nothing about the Johns and Peters .Wow !We got our work cut out for us !

    What ever you guys decide is fine with me . I really like having weekends off and the slower pace we did Ruth at .

    Bless you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that the story doesn't really end. Instead, it shows us what the future was for this family. And what a future!
    To me, it's a reflection of God's plan. Happily ever after perhaps for Boaz and Ruth, but so much more is to come. Such joy is on the horizon that they couldn't have even begun to comprehend.

    Like Andy, I also read daily, but am not always able to comment. Whatever book we choose next is fine with me. I'm a novice at this, so I'm happy to learn as we go, whatever direction you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite reflections on Ruth:
    1. the story shows how each prayer of blessing is answered
    2. sometimes prayers are answered through the person who has prayed them
    3. faithfulness is emphasized, not because it is reasonable, but precisely because it isn't...yet God's actions seem to emerge in beautiful ways through unreasonable faithfulness, both ours and HIS
    4. people must act, but God sets the terms
    5. it is a story about turning (hebrew shuv) - turning back, returning, turning toward, etc.
    6. it is a story about women and a story about God
    7. though God sometimes seems hidden, He is at work
    8. it is a story about real life, both tragedies and blessings
    9. it is a beautiful story about the sovereignty of God without slipping into fatalism
    10. it is a story about one family and about the whole human family and how God can and does impact the many through the few
    11. it leads to the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:5)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoy reading. Anything we choose is fine with me. I am just enjoying learning from everyone. Thanks

    ReplyDelete