What this blog is about and what I hope it does...

I hope this will be a simple fun tool for us to grow in our understanding and surrender to God through the Bible as we connect over the web. Reading the Bible is both simple and difficult. What could be easier than opening a book and reading? Yet we've all done that and wondered what sections of the Bible mean? What's with the book of Leviticus? What is Revelation really about? Is the Song of Songs about marital love or is it supposed to be more 'spiritual' than that?

So, my intent is for this blog to be a tool that helps us in our faith. A forum for better understanding. An honest place of sharing that nurtures us as we follow Jesus together.

(There are a few resources I have included under "PAGES" that may be a helpful start, especially to those newer to reading the Bible. It's located just below this and to the right. Also included is a READING OUTLINE. If you miss a day, go on to the next rather than trying to catch up.)

ONE LAST NOTE: you don't have to join or set up an account to share comments. Just click 'comment' at the bottom of a post, click the drop down and click 'anonymous.' Then write your post and if you want sign it with your first name and finish by clicking 'Post comment.' I would love to hear your thoughts.

4.14.2010

FOR WEDNESDAY Reading #5 (Ruth 2:1-3)

1 Now Naomi had a relative on her husband's side, from the clan of Elimelech, a man of standing, whose name was Boaz. 2 And Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, "Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain behind anyone in whose eyes I find favor." Naomi said to her, "Go ahead, my daughter." 3 So she went out and began to glean in the fields behind the harvesters. As it turned out, she found herself working in a field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelech.

"As it turned out..." We've all used the phrase or something like it to describe events, big or small that have taken place. The author of Ruth uses the word miqreh which means 'chance' or 'accident,' a word that often has negative implications. So as readers, we are left to wonder, how will this work out? But, in this 'chance' encounter, she happens upon a piece of farmland owned by one of Elimelech's family, a man names Boaz who is described in 2:1 as a 'worthy man,' a 'capable man.'

The description of chance seems to be the author's very subtle way of saying that these events happened in a way that neither Ruth nor Boaz are responsible...they didn't/couldn't plan this, yet 'it happened.'

Reflect on these verses a little...what's your impression and what does it do for your faith/trust about your own life?

2 comments:

  1. We all have had cool things happen in our lives that just can't be explained by the laws of chance.I know I make note of them at the time and even " boast " about them to other Christians
    with tongue in cheek saying ,"what a coincidence"

    If I journaled them and reviewed that journal from time to time , I would probably have greater faith . How easily I forget all the wonderful things God does for me on a daily basis . Things I say a quick thanks for and soon after forget .Thank you Father .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who has spent 2 minutes in a "faith" conversation with me knows what I believe. Not "acknowledge as a concept," but "place every fiber of my being into the absolute knowledge and confidence of GOD's sovereign rule over our lives." Coincidence is one of GOD's ways of getting our attention. Chance is a myth.

    ReplyDelete